Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hunt

It was a bright day. Hardly a cloud in the sky. Quiet, too, and peaceful. Almost enough to enjoy. Our horses walked along the path behind us. We had dismounted to enjoy the walk ourselves.
Even in the late morning, there was a dew still wet on the grass.
We both had missed breakfast from sleeping in. I had stayed out a little while longer last night to song-write. After only a few minutes I simply went to my quarters. Nothing had come to mind.

We decided to go hunting even though we had brought food. The both of us had ornately carved bows. Mine though was carved from black-ash wood, sturdy, near unbreakable. Infused with metal such that I run out of arrow, the bow itself could be used to break an orc or goblin.
But I dare not do that with such a thing of beauty.

"There." We had reached the edge of the meadow where it meets the Woods of Calanon. A herd was coming into the forest as well. They had circled us then crossed, we had been completely oblivious.
We tied the horses and grabbed our bows. I slipped my knives just in case. We ran ahead of the herd.
"Is this hart to fast for you to keep up with, *easterner?"
"They're too slow," I saw a sarcastic smile form.
"There are two stags," I noted when we were in position to hit them from the side. I heard an arrow fly past. I looked over, only one stag was standing.
"You could have waited for me to at least knock an arrow!"
"What? And risk my chance of beating you again? Nonsense! Besides, we only need one." I rolled my eyes. We came upto the stag.
"So, um, I forgot my knives. Would you, uh, clean it?"
"Are you serious? You know we agreeed on the Clean-Kill rule."
"Oh we're not kids anymore, you could help me out a little more, seeing as how you're much stronger than I am."
"You manipulative little-"
"Thanks! I'll get the horses."
"You're lucky you have brothers!" All I heard was an "uhuh..."



*"Easterner" refers to the eastern kingdom, known for their breeding of horses for many different purposes, such as riding cross-country, short distances, work-horses, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment